Power BI is a Business Intelligence solution developed by Microsoft that allows to visualize, analyze and share insights across the organization.
With Power BI, you can connect to multiple data sources, then enrich and aggregate them into interactive reports and dashboards, with an interface simple enough for end users.
What Power BI brings you
- Connect to multiple data sources. Then explore your data with stunning interactive visualizations.
- Publish reports and dashboards, collaborate with your team, and share insights inside and outside of your organization.
- Keep your reports up to date by setting the refresh parameters to make quick decisions
- Take action with seamless access to insights from your desk or while on the go.
Power BI components
Power BI consists of a collection of apps and can be used either on desktop, as a SaaS product or on a mobile device.
The different components of Power BI give the user the possibility to create and share business insights in several ways.
Key components of Power BI include:
- Power BI Desktop: The application for PCs and desktops for designing and publishing reports to the Service.
- Power BI Service: The SaaS (software as a service) based online service
- Power BI Mobile Apps: The Power BI Mobile apps for Android and iOS devices, as well as for Windows phones and tablets.
- Power BI Gateway: Gateways used to sync external data in and out of Power BI.
- Power BI Embedded: Power BI REST API can be used to build dashboards and reports into the custom applications that serves Power BI users, as well as non-Power BI users.
- Power BI Report Server: An On-Premises Power BI Reporting solution for companies that won't or can't store data in the cloud-based Power BI Service.
- Power BI Visuals Marketplace: A marketplace of custom visuals and R-powered visuals.
How to use Power BI
In Power BI Desktop, analysts and other users can create their data connections, model the data, and create reports.
After reports are created, users publish their reports to the Power BI service where these reports can be shared, so that other users can view and interact with the reports.
Using Power BI, you can connect, model, and then explore your data with visual reports, then publish and share them in order to make informed decisions quickly.